Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The List

It's gray skies here, and I'm sipping lemon tea and munching on lentil and sausage soup for lunch. This type of dreary day is the perfect time to daydream and create the list.

Of course I have a mental list of places I'd like to visit that I've been constructing over time, but I'm curious what it will look like on paper. For the places I remember, I'm going to include (if it can be found) the inspiration for why I started thinking it would be a fantastic place to visit.

1. Northampton, Massachusetts
It was this post that did it in for me and I'm not sure why - maybe because it's a small town? I never discount the small towns because I grew up in one. There's something special about every place.

2. Nicaragua
A "best places for US retirees to retire" article from MSN started me on this one and very soon an area of the world I had not been previously interested drew me in.

3. Portland, Oregon
Young House Love's trip to Portland and a brief stint of watching Portlandia made me want to see what actually goes on in this city. Is it as weird as I hear it is?

4. Leesburg, Virginia
This is NOVA - Northern Virginia - wine country and I want to know if it's as good as the Charlottesville, VA area.

5. Staunton, Virginia
Speaking of Charlottesville, about an hour west of it lays Staunton. Something about the city's website made me think it might be something special.

6. Redwood National Park, California
I've always wanted to see those great, big trees, but vintage post cards recently received from my grandma have rekindled the flame. This is one place I think I will actually try to go - as a family vacation, if we can!)

7. Phoenix, Arizona
I've already been here as a kid and young adult, but some of my family lives here and I want my husband to experience what it's like. There is nothing like coming back to green, green fields after leaving the desert.

8. Banff National Park, Canada
Again a place I've been - and I have the t-shirt to prove it - but I know I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have as I was on a high school band trip. I want to explore the area and see if where they took us is what I would choose.

9. Prince Edward Island, Canada
I can't help it, but this is the only reason I want to go there. I'm also certain it's beautiful.

10. Germany
An end of summer trip in 2011 sealed my love for this country. I will, no, must return. I also must narrow down where I would visit!

11. The Apostle Islands, Wisconsin
A woman at my church recently recommended this location...and it's almost surprising I have never been since I spent 22 years in Wisconsin. I'm excited to see what there is to discover up near Lake Superior. To include Ashland, Bayfield, and the didn't-even-know-it-existed-until-I-read-this-book Chequamegon National Forest.

12. Malmo, Sweden
Hilda Grahnat's blog introduced me to this beautiful corner of the world.

13. Israel
A place I don't think I'll ever be able to visit due to my risk averse personality, but one I would love to experience.

14. The Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, New York
I must confess it has been the many references on DesignSponge that makes me want to know what makes this area so special.

15. New York City, New York
I have seen it from a distance (flying the length of Manhattan into Newark Liberty International Airport), but I want to see it all up close and personal.

16. Cherry Springs, Pennsylvania
My husband's brother and his wife told us about this unique place - there is no light pollution. Upon a cursory Internet search of the area, there is not much else, either!

I am sure I will update this list as time goes on...thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment