Friday, April 20, 2012

Northampton: The Why

We're kicking off the weekend with a dinner of one of our favorite street foods from Germany, a round of drinks, and a second run movie. Sometimes I'm all about spontaneity, but more often than not on a Friday I like to have something concrete to look forward to!

I said I would choose between going over lodging or activities, but what I actually need to do is consider why I'm visiting and what I hope to get out of it. My traveling companion will be Dan - we actually have been traveling together since two months into our relationship (a story for a different time), but he is my favorite person to travel with. The trip will likely be for a long weekend - Northampton isn't New York, you know - but that will be further decided once we figure out lodging and activities.

I don't see Northampton (Hamp? No, I just can't bring myself to use the name yet...) as a relaxing vacation. Certainly, at least, not the type where exhaustion and stress of life have required a minimum of three days laying on the beach. No - this location call for living and exploring (really, this is what most city visits are) and maybe a bit of adventure. I want to balance living and learning so that I can truly feel part of the community.

I envision easy mornings - maybe some type of exercise like a walk and an hour or so in a coffee shop. The afternoons will be learning or adventure. One half day to take me out of my comfort zone or do something I've never done or don't typically do. Nights I'll try to meld into the community and do what they do. I'm living, but in new surroundings, with less responsibility, spurts of new activity and lots of new sights.

Does this make sense? You can got to a coffee shop anywhere, but it's the local flavor that you're there for when you visit on vacation. It's the people you see, the local food you eat and the flow of the activity around you that brings a place to life.

This is a pure curiosity visit - there wasn't a landmark that led me here or family/friends to visit. It's just a corner of earth that I'd like to experience.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment