Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Northampton: Restaurants

Admittedly, our time spent in Northampton will likely not be a long affair, but that doesn't mean the town doesn't have enough restaurants to last us two weeks without repeating. Also, I will not lie, I took the restaurant list provided in this post (which originally sparked my interest in Northampton) and pared it down to a slightly more manageable list of restaurants that tickled my tongue. So without further delay, the list of restaurants...


1. Joe's - An Italian restaurant that doesn't take itself too seriously. From the picture exhibited on the Daily Specials page, the place looks like a hole in the wall...which is exactly what makes most great Italian places great (Mama Zu in Richmond, anyone?). My only complaint? No tiramasu. Lunch, Dinner


2. The Dirty Truth - This is pretty much a bar, that specializes in beer, of which I am a fan (over 40 from around the globe means there must be one I haven't tried). While I've seen notes that they do serve brunch on the weekend, the bar food seems to be what I would likely try...maybe the sweet potato and beet chips with fennel cream dip? Yum! Dinner


3. Local Burger - My boss says his dog has a look about her when she sees squirrels that says, "Get my mouf!" and that's the way I feel about this restaurant's website. I think it is that it feels In-n-Out-ish to me and I haven't had a burger since...okay it was Saturday, but I haven't had a real burger since the last time I was in an In-n-Out. Anyway, fresh ingredients and basic burgers are just calling my name...hold the American "cheese". Lunch, Dinner, Late Night


4. Herrell's Ice Cream - I've mentioned this before (remember this is the ice cream place at Thorne's Marketplace) and now I've realized it's a chain, but I still don't care...I'm mentioning it and mentioning it again because ice cream is amazing. Plus they have 200 flavors. How many do you think they let you taste test? Snack


5. Karma - As I've mentioned before, I like to try new things and I've never been to a raw food restaurant, so Karma made the list. Karma isn't all raw food, but there are plenty of options if you want to give it a whirl (all dishes are vegan and soy-free, however). If you're in the mood for a main dish that has reached the upper temperature echelons (above 118 Fahrenheit), maybe just try the raw ice cream for dessert. Karma also serves herbal elixirs. I don't know what these are, but if I go to Northampton, I'm trying it out! Lunch, Dinner


6. Northampton Brewery - You'll see this again and again, but I might as well tell you now...our family goes to breweries...so you shouldn't be surprised that Northampton Brewery is on my list. It's billed as the oldest operating brewpub in New England, but don't let that get you too excited...it opened in 1987. That doesn't mean the beer isn't good! Plus, they have a sunroom and a rooftop beer garden. The menu looks fine, but let's be serious...we're here for the beer. Lunch, Dinner


7. Bakery Normand - One of the things I fell in love with in Germany was the bread. Dan and I were both blown away and we loved going to the bakery in the morning for a few baked goods for breakfast. I had Bakery Normand on my list as a possible breakfast option after viewing the pictures, but I just read the backstory and realized that the baker trained at three different bakeries in Germany. No wonder the bread looked so good in pictures! This place opens at 7:30 in the morning, so it's perfect for a morning stroll around town. Those Chocolate Croissants (shokolade croissant) are calling my name. Breakfast, Snack, or an unhealthy lunch


8. Haymarket Cafe - It was the smoothie list at the top of the menu that drew me in to this little slice of heaven. Dan is a huge smoothie fan, so I know he'd enjoy this place. Honestly the menu looks pretty good, but I love things like bourbon french toast (yes) and wild mushroom risotto. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner


9. The Green Bean - Socially responsible and focusing on breakfast and lunch (as well as winning awards in its first year of business for best breakfast and second best lunch), Mary Wiseman (who narrated the Design*Sponge post) noted that the wait is part of the experience. I'm guessing this means you better make a stop here for breakfast otherwise you're missing out. Breakfast, Lunch


10. Bistro Les Gras - I chose this partially because Les Gras means "the fats". They claim to shy away from cream and butter, but it doesn't seem to matter from looking at the menu which looks amazing. Roasted mockingbird, anyone? Lunch, Dinner


11. Hungry Ghost Bread - This is my backup bakery choice in Northampton (really, there aren't too many places that have at least two bakeries, anyway!), but I should also note it serves pizza. Breakfast, Snack, Dinner


12. Cup and Top - This place looks like it would be great for parents with kids as it has a children's area. Also, my mouth is watering after reading the panini menu... Breakfast, Lunch


13. Cafe Evolution - This place serves vegan baked goods and a regular cafe menu. Honestly, I just want to see if those vegan cinnamon rolls are as good as the non-vegan ones. Breakfast, Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment