Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Little Bit of Home(sickness)

What a sneaky thing homesickness is. It comes on you when you're least expecting it, when you thought you'd conquered it, even after you've created a new home.

Today I received an e-mail update from the church Dan and I attended while we at college (the "Chapel"). It contained a video of a skit and associated homily the students and pastor had put on recently for the midweek nightly services they offer. The position and location of the camera was perfect for imagining you were there and the more I watched, the more I remembered what it was like to sit in those chairs late at night on a Wednesday. I remembered the smells and the people I typically sat with.

The skit and homily was on brotherly love and Christian friendship, so naturally my mind turned to the friends I made at that church (which we all affectionately called "our home away from home") and the strong feelings I had about that place and the people I remember from that place flooded my mind. All of a sudden, I was trying to hide my teary face from my coworkers in the middle of lunch!

Do you ever get those feelings? I think it's natural to have those feelings for your family and places you spent a long time in and love dearly (like "the Chapel"), but sometimes I get those feelings (although never as strong) for places I haven't spent that much time in (*cough* Germany *cough*). And while they may come at uncomfortable times (lunch!) and when you least expect it, they are oddly warming and happy. I like to remember the good times I had at places and if it makes those places feel like a little bit of home, I think it's that much better.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment